Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Branching out......

Photobucket

In casting class I've had the most success with my twigs that I turned into little bird necklaces.

Last week instead of the single twig, I cast a twig with multiple little branches. I was really happy with how it turned out and I've made it into another necklace. I've attached it to a long chain which just slips over my head with no clasp. I've resisted the temptation to add a bird or other forest creatures -I did contemplate a squirrel, but decided the tree shape was impressive enough on its own.
Soldering the rings on for the chain was a pain that's taken the best part of the morning and I did a bit of a dodgy job on it, but undeterred I'm going to try casting another "tree" at next week's class and incorporate the jump rings into the casting. Hopefully that will work better :)

I don't always cast twigs though. I've also got a little aeroplane and a dinosaur head which turned out well enough to make into something......watch this space.........

Photobucket Pin It

8 comments:

Her said...

why was it hard to solder? it looks fantastic.

GetSilvered said...

Thanks! Oh, just because the jump rings were so tiny it was hard to position them even with the "third hand" thing. Then the tweezers acted as a heat sink. Just a general pain :)

Chrisy said...

This is an exquisite piece of wearable art...you must be stoked!

GetSilvered said...

Thanks Chrisy,
I'm going out on Sunday for to try and find some more suitable twigs to cast!
I've put it on a longish chain and I've had a few favourable comments when I've worn it out :)

Michele said...

I've been looking back through your blog - your jewellery's beautiful. And an Etsy shop, too. God, I could spend half my life on that place. It's my biggest worry now I've quit work - such a temptation.

GetSilvered said...

Thanks Michele :)
My Etsy shop's suffering from neglect at the moment. But I know exactly what you mean, I spend way too much time on Etsy myself.

Odd Girl Out said...

stunning necklace Pam - look forward to seeing more of this work from you!!

GetSilvered said...

Thanks Sarah! I'll bring it along Monday to Jane's Resin workshop.